Recital 2022 Information
Weatherford High School
June 4, 2022 (Tentative)
June 5, 2022 (Tentative)
Recital Fee of $45 is due no later than September 10, 2021.
This is NON REFUNDABLE as it holds student’s place for the recital and covers theater rental costs.
Costume Deposits are $20.00 per costume, due no later than December 10, 2021. This is a NON REFUNDABLE fee as it places an order for that child’s costume(s). The balance on costumes will be due no later than April 15, 2022 in order for students to receive their costumes.
Music and Costumes
Students will pick music and costumes in December. There are no songs with foul language and no midriff costumes! The students will vote for music and costumes. Majority rules. The reason for this is very important as it allows students to be a part of the creative process. It also teaches good sportsmanship. Not everybody’s favorite piece of music/costume wins, but students learn to embrace a positive attitude, even when things don’t always go their way.
Learning dances in the studio
The Fall Semester is dedicated to technique and the Spring Semester is dedicated to applying learned technique to recital dances. After dances are completed, students will work on their Star Charts in which each step performed correctly earns a sticker and ultimately a Big Star when they can perform the entire dance. Not everybody learns at the same pace and that’s normal. This allows the teacher to give one on one help with specific steps in order to help students prepare for their recital. It also helps students to apply themselves and learn to work towards a big goal. They take responsibility for learning their dances, rather than depending on others. Students who know how to set goals and work steadily towards them have a great sense of accomplishment at the end of the recital.
Dress Rehearsal 9:00-6:00
There will be two smaller recitals. Some of the older students will have dances in both recitals. It’s very important for younger students to see the older students dance so they develop good role models and begin to set goals for themselves as they progress in their dancing. Sign in/out when you arrive and leave the theater. Students run through the entire recital in leotards/tights. We have a short break, then students run through the entire recital in costume. Once students are finished with their dances they are dismissed. Please be sure to sign out before leaving.
We start with the finale, but all other dance numbers are performed in order. Students know what to expect, know where they’re supposed to be, and how much time they have in between dances if we go through the dance numbers in order. It’s time consuming, but it allows students to go into the recital knowing exactly what to expect. It also allows students to watch and be inspired by other dancers. There will be more details as we get closer to recital.
Security for Dress Rehearsal and Recital
Weatherford High School adheres to a strict security policy. We have volunteers assigned to watch doors, check students in and out of backstage, and usher during the recital. If you are interested in volunteering please let Angie Bergmann know. No parents are allowed backstage with few exceptions for pre schoolers and special needs. Big Sisters are assigned to take care of younger dance groups. They will assist them with costumes, make up, getting on and off the stage, and taking care of them during time in between dances. This gives older students responsibility and it gives the younger students role models to look up to. It is always the highlight of younger students to find out who their Big Sisters will be for the rehearsal/recital!
BEFORE DRESS REHEARSAL
- Apply make-up before rehearsal and bring some for touch ups during the day.
- Pack a light lunch/bottle of water, but please note NO FOOD OR DRINK IN COSTUME!!!!! Soft drinks/juice should be avoided so as not to stain costumes. Keep in mind we are renting the theater and want to leave it as clean as we found it.
- Make sure any alterations on costume(s) are complete.
- Note costume bag for correct color of tights, shoes, how to wear hair.
FOR DRESS REHEARSAL JUNE 4
- Do arrive early and warm up. Plan on being at the theater no later than 30 minutes prior to start time. Come in the band hall entrance. There will be a check in sheet to sign, and then proceed to the auditorium. I will assign “big sisters” to groups, then students may go settle their belongings in the dressing rooms.
- Younger students have been assigned “big sisters” to help them with costumes, hair, make-up, and getting them to and from the stage for rehearsal and recital so Moms can enjoy the show! NO ONE OTHER THAN THE DANCERS ARE PERMITTED IN THE BACKSTAGE/DRESSING AREAS!!!!!
- Rehearsal in leotards and tights will start with the Finale. We will have a quick break and allow students to change into their costumes and run through the recital again, starting with the Finale, in costume. Once your child is done with her dances in costume, she is dismissed. Please be sure and sign the check out sheet before you leave. Please take costumes and all belongings home with you.
- Students-This is your day to watch all the dances so take advantage of it! No dancers in the auditorium the day of the recital! It is unprofessional and discourteous to roam the audience in costume during a performance! Please respect the theater and the art of dance by not distracting the audience.
FOR RECITAL JUNE 5
- Apply make-up before recital and bring some for touch ups during the day.
- Pack a light snack/bottle of water, but please note NO FOOD OR DRINK IN COSTUME!!!!! Soft drinks/juice should be avoided so as not to stain costumes. Keep in mind we are renting the theater and want to leave it as clean as we found it.
- For the younger students, parents might want to pack a few coloring or activity books.
- Do arrive early and warm up. Plan on being at the theater 30 minutes prior to show time. Please sign the check in sheet. NO ONE OTHER THAN THE DANCERS ARE PERMITTED IN THE BACKSTAGE/DRESSING AREAS!!!!!
- Dress in costume in the dressing room. Please do not show costumes before the performance!
- Students shall remain in the dressing room until they are ready to dance. No dancers are allowed in the auditorium! It is unprofessional and discourteous to roam the audience in costume during a performance! Please respect the theater and the art of dance by not distracting the audience.
- You are welcome to video tape your child or you may order a DVD from Moments In Time Video Production.
- Please don’t forget to sign the check out sheet before you leave.